Some Questions

Discuss computer builds, specs, compare hardware, etc.
Astavan

Some Questions

Postby Astavan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:30 am

What Pc do i need for the Game?

I have an Intel I5 4690k Devils Canyon
8gb Ram
Radeon 290x 4gb Ram

And what Graphik Engine are u using
Layenem
Founder
Founder

Re: Some Questions

Postby Layenem » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:04 am

Astavan wrote:What Pc do i need for the Game?

I have an Intel I5 4690k Devils Canyon
8gb Ram
Radeon 290x 4gb Ram

And what Graphik Engine are u using

I'll make sure my tech team gets to this question ASAP. I don't think we've got the minimum specs yet but your machine should be far more than sufficient to run this game.

Don't quote me; I'll get the tech team over to you :)
Co-Founder and CEO

#ChallengeIsEverything

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." ~ Elbert Hubbard
Wykkyd
Founder
Founder

Postby Wykkyd » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:00 pm

You have to keep in mind that this game is just starting development. Any declaration we would make today about the target specifications to play the game when it finally hits shelves would be extremely premature, and by their very nature misleading.

Our best case scenario puts this game 3 years away from completion. A more realistic answer would be closer to 4 or 5. This isn't for lack of desire. Instead it's a matter of time, resources and the desire to do this the right way... and for the right reasons.

Our initial statement, internally, is that we want this game to look amazing and push the limits of computers that will be "high end" at the time it is released. And the reasoning for that is simple: we want this game to stick around for a long time, and to age well. We can't accomplish that if we target low spec machines. And we can't accomplish that in 5 years if we target today's high end machines.

Ultimately the best answer I can give you is this:

My home laptop is a Razer 2015 512gb SSD with 16gb RAM and an nVidia 970m running 3200x1800.
My home desktop is a quad core i7 with 24gb ram, 750gb SSD and 2x Nvidia 750 Ti running 3 screens.

If that desktop can keep up with our finished product, without receiving upgrades, then we have failed. If that Razer can barely run the game we produce in 4 to 5 years, I'll be "ok" with the results. Ideally our system specs would crush both because technology advances far too quickly to sit back and say, "oh this is good enough".

But... there is so much that has to happen before this conversation will even mean anything. Imagine the game we're building is a 6 story, articulate and highly detailed snowman. Well, that takes a shitload of time and a shitload of snow... and we only just started seeing our first few flakes fall. We can't even make a snowball yet.
Thenecron

Postby Thenecron » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:55 pm

Wykkyd wrote:You have to keep in mind that this game is just starting development. Any declaration we would make today about the target specifications to play the game when it finally hits shelves would be extremely premature, and by their very nature misleading.

Our best case scenario puts this game 3 years away from completion. A more realistic answer would be closer to 4 or 5. This isn't for lack of desire. Instead it's a matter of time, resources and the desire to do this the right way... and for the right reasons.

Our initial statement, internally, is that we want this game to look amazing and push the limits of computers that will be "high end" at the time it is released. And the reasoning for that is simple: we want this game to stick around for a long time, and to age well. We can't accomplish that if we target low spec machines. And we can't accomplish that in 5 years if we target today's high end machines.

Ultimately the best answer I can give you is this:

My home laptop is a Razer 2015 512gb SSD with 16gb RAM and an nVidia 970m running 3200x1800.
My home desktop is a quad core i7 with 24gb ram, 750gb SSD and 2x Nvidia 750 Ti running 3 screens.

If that desktop can keep up with our finished product, without receiving upgrades, then we have failed. If that Razer can barely run the game we produce in 4 to 5 years, I'll be "ok" with the results. Ideally our system specs would crush both because technology advances far too quickly to sit back and say, "oh this is good enough".

But... there is so much that has to happen before this conversation will even mean anything. Imagine the game we're building is a 6 story, articulate and highly detailed snowman. Well, that takes a shitload of time and a shitload of snow... and we only just started seeing our first few flakes fall. We can't even make a snowball yet.

I wish this was posted elsewhere that would get more notice, especially with no actual evidence of how the game looks like right now, it sounds pretty good hearing your expectations on how the game should run
Layenem
Founder
Founder

Postby Layenem » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:19 pm

I'll throw this thread up under "Hard Questions" and ask Wykkyd to work on a write up (maybe even a copy/paste) of this in the News and Announcements section and place it as a sticky.
Co-Founder and CEO

#ChallengeIsEverything

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." ~ Elbert Hubbard
Neosolidus

Postby Neosolidus » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:36 am

Thenecron wrote:
I wish this was posted elsewhere that would get more notice, especially with no actual evidence of how the game looks like right now, it sounds pretty good hearing your expectations on how the game should run

I completely disagree for the same reasons Wykked posted, it is too early to even guesstimate what you will need and making this statement a front runner will just confuse "the average folk".

Some people will see Wykked pc's spec and think well there is no way my system will run the game so why even keep up with it or something of those sorts.

While I love open and honest communication also have to be mindful to keep it simple enough so people don't choke on it.
Is not that I try to be mean, I just don't care to "baby" people's feelings
Ahdora
Founder
Founder

Postby Ahdora » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:44 pm

Neosolidus wrote:
Thenecron wrote:

I completely disagree for the same reasons Wykked posted, it is too early to even guesstimate what you will need and making this statement a front runner will just confuse "the average folk".

Some people will see Wykked pc's spec and think well there is no way my system will run the game so why even keep up with it or something of those sorts.

While I love open and honest communication also have to be mindful to keep it simple enough so people don't choke on it.

This is a great point.

It's true that some may see this and think "oh well I'll never have a high end PC so I may as well not keep track of this game anymore," when in reality we just don't have ANY hard answers on this yet.

If anything, this could be thrown into a large FAQ-style thread with an answer like this: "It is far too early in Sacrament's development to have any idea what our minimum or recommended specifications will be. This information will be made available as soon as we have it."
Co-Founder

"Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her, but once they are in hand, he or she alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game." ~Voltaire
SeriousBaconDever
Development Team

Postby SeriousBaconDever » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:12 pm

Ahdora wrote:
Neosolidus wrote:
Thenecron wrote:

This is a great point.

It's true that some may see this and think "oh well I'll never have a high end PC so I may as well not keep track of this game anymore," when in reality we just don't have ANY hard answers on this yet.

If anything, this could be thrown into a large FAQ-style thread with an answer like this: "It is far too early in Sacrament's development to have any idea what our minimum or recommended specifications will be. This information will be made available as soon as we have it."

Sorry for quoting like four things but here's my two cents. Adhora you're completely right on this one. It is waaaaaaaay to early to tell what your specs will need to be to be able to run Sacrament. Now, in saying that, I personally am assuming that since technology is rapidly advancing, it will be easier to get more advanced hardware as time progresses, so even if you don't have a NASA super computer with the most advanced GPU in the world, I think you could still run it. Now, I'm not going to say how my computer is handling actually building the thing, since it's a very unstable build I'm working with and all that, but it shouldn't be a huge thing to worry about really.

Now we are planning on making the game a little more advanced than what the average GPU can handle at this moment, and the reason we are doing that is like I said, in the next four to five years or however long Sacrament takes, there will be numerous technological advances allowing the average person to have what we would call today, "advanced" or at least that's what we've guessed based on recent trends. Honestly though, it's not a huge leap to thing that's what's going too happen. Just two years ago we thought Virtual Reality was near impossible and yet today, a lot of people including myself own an Oculus Rift. Just with those examples alone, we are confident though that it won't take a lot when we finish Sacrament to actually play.

So I suppose my advice at this time would be to not worry about it, when we are certain that we know what you'll approximately need to play, we'll let you know. But now is just extremely too early to even make a complete stab in the dark, and hoping to land anywhere near what would be correct.

Sizzle on bros!

I love working on Sacrament. Please don't fire me...

#ChallengeIsEverything
Harley

Postby Harley » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:45 pm

Neosolidus wrote:
Thenecron wrote:

While it is too early to tell people about what specs they would need to run the game, it is completely a GREAT idea to tell others what the developers' "vision" or expectations are. There are plenty of serious MMORPG players who want to know what the vision of the polished graphics look of the game will be. In this case, I don't think Necron is suggesting that you guys post what the "dream pc system requirements" will be for Sacrament, but you should definitely let people know that you expect your game to be something that will uh.. not look like minecraft :lol:

Graphics are not my personal priority when looking for an MMO to play, but for many many people they want it to look GOOD. Knowing that you guys want Sacrament to be graphically intense is actually a plus! Put that information out there somewhere please!
Harley

Postby Harley » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:54 pm

Ahdora wrote:This is a great point.

Like I was saying, experienced players usually use the "recommended pc specs" to measure how good or bad the game will look graphically. It's too early to give any set recommended pc specs but it is probably a good idea to at least state how well/detailed/intense you guys want the "finished and polished game" graphic results to look. :)

Return to “Tech Talk”